Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pimento Cheese

The giant and I were watching a TV show, "The Best Thing I Ever Ate", and Tyler Florence brought up Pimento Cheese.  My mouth has been watering ever since.  I had no clue though, that Pimento Cheese was a "regional" food, particular only to the Southern US, and no where else.   So I asked the giant, and sure enough, he's never had it.  Oh the sorrow of not experiencing a pimento cheese sandwich.  :o(  So it's on my list to make for my darling husband, and most especially for myself.  I'll share my recipe with you.  Give it a try, either on white bread, or served up with crackers and veggies.  Trust me, everybody will be wondering where you found this fabulous cheese. 

Did you know "Pimentos" are actually red cherry peppers? 

Ingredients:
1 pound Sharp Cheddar Cheese (grated)
1/2 pound Monterey Jack Cheese (grated)
1 4-ounce jar of Pimentos
1 3-ounce container of Cream Cheese (softened)
2 medium sized Kosher Dill Pickles (chopped fine)
2-3 cloves of Garlic (adjust to your taste, mashed up)
3 heaping tablespoons of Duke's Mayo (okay you can use another mayo, but Duke's is best)
Cracked black pepper to taste
Chopped parsely / or nuts for garnish if making a cheese ball

Directions:
I love to use the food processor for this, as it makes things easier, to grate the cheeses and pickles, but you don't need it.  Whip up your softened cream cheese and mix/fold in all the other ingredients, except the chopped parsley or nuts.  Then place the mixture in a small bowl, cover, and store in your fridge for a few hours (or go ahead and make your sandwich).  This will firm up your cheese (though it will remain soft).  Then you can pull it out, and roll it in chopped nuts or parsley to make it pretty, wrap with plastic wrap and store.  As long as you keep it in an airtight container, your Pimento Cheese should keep for 6 weeks. 

Pimento cheese is awesome as a dip, as a sandwich, spread on top of a hamburger, baked in the oven on some toast points, topping deviled eggs, spread on celery sticks, and much much more.  Gosh I can't wait.  I hope I leave some for my husband to try.  :oP



No comments: